"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Power of These Words...

World Read Aloud Day keeps on giving.
 

I was handed

very-well-folded

piece of paper 
 
by a student.  

I couldn't open it 

because I had my classes.

Later, 

when I was cleaning out 

my pockets

of the day's mementos

There it was,

in my back pocket

waiting for me.

A Poem-ish

A Poem in My Pocket 
based on

one of the writing prompts 

from 

World Read Aloud Day.

Check it out
(The poem is typed out below.)



Here it is:

Now

There comes a time
when we have to shed our fear
that time is now.

There comes a time
when in small places
close to home
-so close and so small
that they cannot be seen-
the individual person is called to give
hope to others
that time is now.

There comes a time
when without concerned citizens
action to uphold human rights
close to home,
we shall look in vain for progress
in the larger world,
that time is now.

When
after all
do human rights begin?

Now.


No comments:

Post a Comment