"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Friday, June 8, 2012

"LET ME LOOSE IN YOUR LIBRARY."

More beautiful words could not be spoken!

These were said by Alice Roosevelt to her father as her solution to her education and can be found in Barbara Kerley's What to do about Alice?  

And what an education she received!

I wish every child could have access
to a library as Alice did.

I LOVE this book.

I'm not the only one.  What To Do About Alice?  has won numerous awards: Sibert Honor Book, Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor Book, Irma Black Award Honor Book, Parents Choice Award , An ALA Notable Book Booklist, starred review, School Library Review, starred review, Horn Book, starred review, and Kirkus Reviews, starred review.

Beautifully written and illustrated, the book offers many wonderful messages about:

reading,


"She read voraciously and drank in Father's tales of Davy Crockett, George Armstrong Custer and Daniel Boone."


living life,


"Alice called it, 'eating up the world'"


and breaking the mold.


"As her love and knowledge of politics grew, she quickly became one of Father's most trusted advisers and ardent champions."
~~~

I read the book with my fourth graders.  What did my students think of this book? Did they hear the message I hoped? I'm not sure, but they were inspired.







Some students used the blog to respond:
Read.Reflect.Communicate.Connect. 

Here are some of the comments on the blog:



No comments:

Post a Comment