"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Monday, October 29, 2012

I learned that...

..."they grow up and they grow down."
..."they decompose."
..."it's a life cycle."
..."how to plant a pumpkin."

I've been introducing my kindergarten students to nonfiction books.  These kindergartners as a grade level are my most avid nonfiction readers to date. (Integrating Common Core Standards will be easy for their teachers.)  We've been focusing on nonfiction books as information books - books that we go to for the who, what, when, where, why and how.

Trying to avoid the boring "location and access" type lesson, we are spending a few weeks with one text and then spending time exploring the nonfiction section independently.  I'm trying to come up with a more catchy name for the nonfiction section, which happens to run along the back wall of my library.  What do you think of this?


Wonder Wall

I Wonder...
Why...this happens
Where... it is located
Who...invented this
What...happens when
How... tall it is

Tell me what you think!  Share your ideas.  In the meantime, after only one reading, here's what these students learned from the book, Pumpkin Circle.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea for your nonfiction section!
    Wonder Wall says it all! I haven't renamed my nonfiction section (yet) but I have (in the past) posted the question "Where do you want to go this year?" with answers that matched many of the Dewey sections such as "A science fair", "To Mt. Olympus", "To a rocket launch", "To the ballpark" etc.

    ReplyDelete