"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Kid Pix and the boy

I had been sitting with this young student for a few minutes before I grabbed my cell phone to capture this moment.
This first grader is very comfortable in this medium.  I am taken by how each line is purposeful.  There was no doubt about the art and no erasing.  The library was empty, save for the two of us, but he is still incredibly focused and task oriented.

This video reminds me how important it is to give students access to  the tools they need to express themselves.  I want to say something to this effect, "If the medium fits...use it," but that sounds as if it is an add on.  That's not my intention at all.  I mean that I want to work harder to find the right tools for the right child.


There were three first grade students who missed the Kid Pix production day that was part of the Tad Hills author study. Each student came into the library at a separate time between my other classes. What a thrill to watch them work.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~




~The beginning of the train picture~

It was such a different experience to work one on one with a child for an extended period of time. It got me thinking about the learning commons that I am slowly trying to create. I am really hoping that my Wednesday afternoon "flex time" will soon be filled with individual students or small groups of students creating, making and doing. 

1 comment:

  1. We are definitely on the same page regarding the library as a Learning Commons, even at the elementary level. I look forward to dipping and digging into your blog for ideas and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete