"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A dragon would be cooler

Sorry, Mac Barnett...

The Mock Caldecott reading continues...today we shared Chloe and the Lion, written by Mac Barnett and illustrated by Adam Rex.
The giggles and guffaws emanating from the children on the rug were proof enough that they understood the humor in this book.  These first graders could appreciate the inside joke-- when a dragon shows up on a page where a lion should be. 

Early in our Caldecott exploration, I tell a story about how I have written this incredible book about pigs. I explain the plot and give plenty of details and then go on to share about this amazing illustrator who has drawn the most spectacular and unique pictures of...elephants.  I explain that these are incredibly detailed, beautiful illustrations.  I then ask why this illustrator would not win the Caldecott. The students know that the illustrations have to help tell and even extend the story, so we all have a good laugh, but this story helps them remember this criteria.  Today, when the dragon showed up instead of a lion, many students referenced my story.

We'll be reflecting more on this book next week, but as a quick check in, I created a Voicethread and left it open for the students.  Here's what they had to say:


There are many things to be said about this book, but I will leave it for the students!  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment