"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

On capturing an amazing conversation about The Lions of Little Rock

When students are left to their own devices, or mine, unexpected gifts often result.

Their own device? Their voices in a free flowing conversation.
My device? My laptop with Voicethread open.

Below is a Voicethread conversation about The Lions of Little Rock, the book by Kristin Levine. Those of you who follow the blog know that we had a Skype visit with Kristin and that I really love her book. 

Check out this conversation about the book.  It is amazing.

Have your students read the book?  If so, please have them join the conversation!

Let me just say a few things about this recording.

These four girls - Carrie, Tove, Ella and Ruby - all took our state standardized test for math this morning.  

Two of them came in to library having a conversation about the book and the other two came over to to join the conversation.  I asked if they would stay after the library period and talk about the book then.  

After library, I uploaded a picture to Voicethread and gave them my laptop.  I eavesdropped a bit (but not much) and as I listened I got a bit teary.  I wish all students could experience an authentic, free flowing conversation around a book like this one.  I am trying to figure out how to make the experience a part of the library program.  Thinking...Thinking...Thinking....

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,

    This was so neat! Thank you so much for sharing it with me - and everyone else. Carrie, Tove, Ella and Ruby all sound like such amazing young ladies!

    Best,

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete