"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Friday, October 11, 2013

Baby, I've got your number...

...I'm going to make you mine...

Something about teaching and learning about the Destiny Catalogue makes me think cheesy thoughts, or at least croon cheesy songs.
Last year, I created the Carly Rae Jepsen style Call Me, Maybe signage.


I am not sure I can reference this new song in an elementary school library, but gee willakers, isn't that first part kind of perfect? (Sorry for what is about to transpire, Tommy Tutone).

"Destiny, Destiny, you're who I turn to.
when I need a book I can hold onto.
You can help me find the right books to read now,
With your call number, I can find the book.

Hey, I've got your call number.
I'm going to make you mine.
Hey, I've got your call number.

It's a Dewey Decimal.

Please give me the address for the book
I see your call number on the screen and head to the shelf.
where I see your name and number on the spine.

"Hey, I've got your call number,
I'm going to make you mine.
Hey, I've got your call number

FIC REED"

I've been exploring destiny with students for two weeks now.  This year, I am emphasizing the city, neighborhood, street analogy, i.e., our library city is comprised of specific neighborhoods with streets where each book lives.  I am also working on association words like destiny=database and call number=address. We'll see how this works.

I am also having a lot of fun exploring Destiny, Destiny Quest and Follett Shelf.  It has been fun promoting the ebooks we have through Capstone as well. They are so well read.



In my quest (no pun intended) to encourage and foster independence and ownership over their reading experiences, I have been exploring the pros and cons of the different destiny interfaces and the ebook options.

I put out a poster splash for the 5th graders, here's what they had to say:
















I hope my students are making the connection between the virtual records and the books on the shelf. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment