"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Giving a Voice (and some markers) to 2nd Graders

Yesterday, my second graders checked in with their Library Pals, second graders in the state of Minnesota.  My friend, Laura, and I, blogged with our students last year.  We shared what we were learning about books as well as some research projects.  

This year, we are working on getting to know each other better as we hope to keep these students connected through 5th grade.  We also plan to share learning experiences about location and access in a school library (how books are organized, where to find them, how to identify them, and using the card catalogue).
Like this student using Destiny to find a book

and like this 2nd grader writing down the call numbers of the books she wants. 

After watching some Vines of the books our Library Pals checked out this week, we created our own vines.  My phone does not let me embed them, so click on the links below.

After Browsing I

I also took a few pictures:




To lay the ground work for our collaboration this year, I put out three poster size papers.  I asked the students to give their voice to the posters answering each of these questions:

What questions do you have for our Library Pals? 













What do you know about our school library?  








What books are you reading now?






I wish all 2nd graders read Mr. Putter and Tabby.

Horse stories never go out of fashion.




Love this specificity.

No comments:

Post a Comment