"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

On Walking to Work

This post has nothing to do with my library or teaching and learning, except for the part where I write, "I wish I had more time with the students. I wish we could get to know one another better. I wish I could share what I see and hear on my walk to work."

One of the benefits of being an empty nester is that I can now leave the house as soon as I am ready.  I loved making lunch and breakfast and sharing the morning routine with my children, but I was rarely able to alter our routine.  A beautiful morning would pass by without my having the chance to: take in the crisp smell of autumn; hear the crunch of dry leaves under my feet; or, see the brilliant peacock-like display of autumn's trees.  Now I can.  I am walking to work at least three days every week (being those when I am able to get out the door in a timely fashion).  

When I walk to work, I am treated to sights, sounds, and smells that awaken my senses, but also give me a sense of contentment.

Take yesterday, for instance, when I saw turkeys on my way to work.


When I got to school, I wanted to talk turkey. Literally!  How cool was it to be joined on my walk by these awkward animals.  "I wish I had more time with the students. I wish we could get to know one another better. I wish I could share what I see and hear on my walk to work." I want to share these moments with the students, but with a scant 30 minutes for a library lesson and browsing and borrowing, it is not possible without giving up something else. What do the students see and hear? How can I give them a chance to share?

There are also mornings when I want to share the calm, like this one when the lake was so still...



What's a person to do?  Share these photographs and experiences on my social networks! Those who I connect can attest to my relentless posting of photographs.  This may not always be enough. I am thinking about how I can incorporate the things I see and hear and the students see and hear on our way to school into our library classroom.  

Maybe we can post a photograph or share an item each week and students can share words, phrases and poems inspired by the photograph or item....*thinkingthinkingthinking*

1 comment:

  1. I keep running into the wild turkeys on Walnut Street too!

    ReplyDelete