"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Slice of Life: Knowing you love what you do

This is the second day back from vacation and I had a great vacation. It was relaxing and free of any set schedule from Monday on - the best kind of vacation. There are many wonderful memories, but the two days on Martha's Vineyard biking and reading stand out. I loved the book that I was reading so much that I couldn't wait to get to the next place, so I could get off my bike and read.  I was reading The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier, it's a well-crafted, victorian ghost story. 
Knowing that I couldn't get up and leisurely drink my morning coffee and read made waking up yesterday was a bit hard. Walking into school and exchanging vacation adventures with other staff was not, and the day only got better when the students and I shared vacation reading stories. 

Today was more of the same, but also a serious look at these next eight weeks of school. I spent the afternoon meeting with teachers and planning units, this collaboration benefits the students and makes my work more fun, but it also strengthens my working relationships, I feel like a teacher partner.  It was about 6:30 pm when I finished my work. On my way out of the school, I stopped by the Principal's office to catch up on life and school. I then stopped in to catch up with my running partner (we had planned to run, but didn't). Finishing my school day with these casual conversations reminded me of how lucky I am. As I left my school building, I carried with me a feeling of happiness and contentment. I love doing what I do in the place that I spend each working day. 

4 comments:

  1. That's the best feeling, isn't it? To get back from break and feel glad to be back doing what one loves to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It certainly helps ease the transition. :)

      Delete
  2. I have always found the best part of any vacation is the reading, but I made a New Year's resolution to read for pleasure (almost) every day. While I still read almost a book-a-day over spring break, I have finished more books this semester than I have other years. And by making time for myself about 30 minutes every night right before bed, I find that I am just a little more relaxed the next morning. Plus, I am proud of my reading accomplishments, and I share those with my students so that they know I'm practicing what I preach to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this idea Kristin and think I will try the same. I rely too heavily on summer and vacations to do most of my pleasure reading.

      Delete