"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Friday, October 16, 2015

ReedALOUD: Toys Meet Snow

The lovable characters from the trilogy of novels Toys Go Out, Toy Dance Party, and Toys Come Home are the stars of a new picture book, Toys Meet Snow. This is a gem of a book, which provides an opportunity for Emily Jenkins and Paul O. Zelinsky to flex their creative muscles in a new format.

Not only are the characters equally as fun, Paul O. Zelinsky's art is radiant. Three toys on a snowy day have never been more appealing. 

This book is not all fun and games though, it's an opportunity to talk about perspective. My students explored how the world looked and felt from the view point of Lumphy, StingRay, and Plastic. 


Following the pattern in the book, Lumphy, the curious; StingRay, the poetic; and Plastic, the knowledgeable, my second grade students spent time thinking about what Lumphy, Stingray and Plastic would see in their classroom and wonder about.




"What is that?"
"It's a listening machine."
"It is a student."






I wonder what the toys will meet next? My first graders should have some ideas...

2 comments:

  1. I just received this book in my library and I love it! The cover is so luminous I have it propped up on my desk. I'm going to be using it with my kindergarten students as we begin our annual attempt to predict this year's Caldecott winner.

    ReplyDelete