"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Hour of Code in Kindergarten

I've been popping in and out of classes during my flex time to introduce and assist with Hour of Code. It's been affirming to watch the same experiences happen from kindergarten through grade five - students are collaborating to solve puzzles, but even better they are exercising their critical thinking skills, math skills, and logic skills. There's so much more embedded into learning coding, but these are rewarding to watch. 

The sound of students excited after solving a coding challenge is fabulous. I was in a fourth grade class yesterday when both the teacher and I emitted just this sound after solving one of the Frozen snowflake puzzles on the Hour of Code site. I had to pull it up on the screen and talk through it with the class. I hope our inadvertent modeling helped inspire them to persist during their own challenges.    

Here's a look into a kindergarten class from this week.













No comments:

Post a Comment