"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

You're my Wonder Wall

Today the kindergarten students pursued their interests by finding books along our Wonder Wall that could answer their wondering questions from last week.  (Last week was a long time ago in kindergarten years, so thankfully they had drawn their wonderings and I had kept them.) After reinforcing the idea behind our Wonder Wall or nonfiction neighborhood -- the place to go to find answers to those who, what, when, where, why, and how questions -, I compared the organization of this neighborhood with our picture book neighborhood and talked through the process of finding the subject area and then exploring those shelves for the right book. The students then found their art/question and set off for the Wonder Wall.

It was a bit chaotic helping twenty-four kindergarten students get to the right shelves, but by the end of the class most every child had found a book to help answer their question. 

Here's a look at some of the questions and the books we found:























4 comments:

  1. Love this idea. Will be using it soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and have been pouring over all your wonderful ideas! I love this one of calling the nonfiction the "wonder wall." Definitely want to try this with my kinder and first graders soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and so glad you are finding ideas to use! Let me know how you improve on it.

      Delete