"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library." ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Monday, September 12, 2016

3rd Grade Hopes and Dreams inspired by The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles

I saw my third graders for the first time today. I decided to jump right in with the Hopes and Dreams lesson since it was already the fifth day of school. To inspire them, I read  The Uncorker of Ocean Bottleswritten by Michelle Cuevas and illustrated by Erin E. Stead. I really enjoy reading this book aloud, the text is lyrical and the art and story engross the students.

I used The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles with fourth graders last spring and loved both their reaction to the story as well as how it inspired them to write. You can find that lesson and more about this beautiful book at ReedALOUD: The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles.
Today, my third graders created their own messages in bottles. They wrote their hopes and dreams and rolled them into scrolls, which I placed in mason jars with labels (similar to last spring). They will sit on a shelf in the library until June, at which point I will return them and give the students the opportunity to reflect on their hopes and dreams. I don't want to rush things, but I am pretty excited about this. I only have 175 more school days to wait! 

Here's a glimpse of what they are hoping and dreaming:




















3 comments:

  1. And you are there to help fulfill those dreams! Lucky kids! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice lesson! So, I feel the need to have more of a "nuts & bolts" kind of lesson where we review library procedures and review checking out books. Since this was your first class, you don't go over that kind of thing?

    I'm still new to this and trying to figure it all out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go over nuts and bolts procedures because I have seen them the past three years. I do partner new students with helpers. I go over nuts and bolts when I follow up Hopes and Dreams with Rules and Routines.

      Delete